Chick Peas add protein, fibre and a vibrant mix of vitamins and minerals to all kinds of recipes. Chickpeas are great in curries and are the main ingredient for making hummus.
Chickpeas are a popular legume and a fantastic protein source for vegans and vegetarians. They are a nutrient rich food that is high in fiber, protein and folate and a healthy source of natural vitamins and minerals such as iron.
Chickpeas are an important ingredient in Indian and Middle Eastern Cuisine for their versatility and ability to absorb flavours in curries and dips.
Benefits of Chickpeas
- High in protein
- Rich source of fiber
- Low in fat
- Low in sugar
- Cheap protein source
- Long shelf life
- Easy to prepare
- Can be used in sweet and savoury recipes
How to prepare chickpeas
- Soak in water overnight
- Drain and rinse
- Add to a pan
- Cover with water and boil for 20-25 minutes for firmer beans of 40-45 minutes for softer beans (depending on how you plan to use them)
- To know whether your chickpeas are cooked, cut one in half. If they are cooked they will be soft and appear yellow the whole way through. The chickpeas are not cooked, the center will appear white and starchy, that is the case then boil for 5 minutes more and check again.
Ways to enjoy chickpeas
There are many ways to enjoy this popular ingredient in your diet. Here are a few ideas to get you started;
- Roast with warming spices and enjoy as a go-to healthy snack
- Use to make chana masala, an Indian side dish that is popular with vegans
- Add to curries for added protein and texture
- Use to make hummus and dip vegetable crudités
- Try making falafels and enjoy as a delicious, protein source in salads
- Sprinkle on salads
- Make your own chickpea flour and use in an array of baking recipes
You can buy chickpeas online in small and bulk sizes depending on your requirements. We ship to most of the UK and throughout Europe with fast and efficient delivery times to suit you.
Packed on premises that handles nuts (including peanuts), seeds, cereals, soya & products containing gluten.
Store in a cool dry place away from sunlight.
- Soak Chickpeas for 8-9 hours or overnight more preferable.
- Rinse, add to saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for up to 1 hour or until tender.
- Drain and allow cooling for 15 minutes.
For more recipes click here
You can buy more products on our shop click here
Nutrition ( Per 100g )
Energy (Kj) 1418
Energy (Kcal) 336
Fat (g) 5.4
Saturates (g) Nil
Carbohydrates (g) 45.2
Sugars (g) 2.6
Fibre (g) 10.7
Protein (g) 21.4
Salt (g) 0.1